Wednesday, March 20th, the Vernal or Spring Equinox, will mark the first day of spring. Just think, that is really just a few weeks away. Soon we will hear the birds chirping and homeowners out in the yard cleaning things up to start yet another spring and summer of lawn care. It is enough to make a landscaping company giddy. Let’s plan our spring lawn!
Given that we have a few weeks of Old Man Winter yet to go, this is the important time to start planning so you’ll get off to a good start to keeping your lawn and garden healthy as well as nicely manicured all season long. Here are a few things to consider when planning your spring lawn and garden now.
Depending on where you live in our region, freezing weather can still persist well into the first few weeks of spring. Homes closer to the coast will notice the warmth beginning to awake plantings first and then slowly the temperature changes push inland. Plan on some of these tasks and chores around your home for the first few warm weekends.
- Cleaning up debris from the yard and last leaves that fell in the fall.
- Pruning trees and bushes. Be sure to do your homework on what plantings you have as you do not want to prune too far or risk harming tender growth.
- Examining planting beds to see if frost heaves have pushed out any of your bulbs.
- Repairing containers or window boxes that will hold colorful blooms once the weather permits.
- Raking (gently) thatch or debris out of the yard once the weather has risen above the freezing mark.
- Testing soil for pH levels in order to feed it correctly as the season continues.
- Repairing and/or cleaning all lawn equipment that will be needed for the growing season. This includes your mower, trimmers, edgers, leaf blower, and pruning shears.
- Planning your veggie garden or annual plantings and possibly begin the process of growing indoors, if space allows.
Arrowhead Landscaping provides residential, commercial, and industrial services that can make any lawn look well manicured and sharp. We offer services such as lawn mowing, hedge trimming, mulching, planting, and spring/fall cleanups. We also design, plan and install hardscape specific to the unique aspect of your yard. Call us at (978) 774-4487 or visit our website.